Dos and Don’ts of Using a Glass Electric Fireplace

Dos and Don’ts of Using a Glass Electric Fireplace

 Electric flame heaters are the main source of heat in many households. They are efficient, cost-effective, and perfectly safe to use. However, you need to understand a few things to make them last for a long time.

A glass electric fireplace is a great device to heat an average room. But, you should understand how it’s used to figure out its full potential.

Here are some of the Dos and Don’ts of using a modern fireplace with a glass front.

The “Dos” of Using Electric Fireplace

  1. Keep Flammable Things Away from the Fireplace

Electric fires don’t produce real fire, but they can produce enough heat to burn something. If a flammable item like paper or wood is placed near the fireplace, it might burn after being exposed to heat for a long time.

You should have at least three feet of space around the fireplace. You need to move electric gadgets, furniture, and toys away from the fireplace.

  1. Unplug the Heater If You’re Not Using It

This is a tip that you need to do not only for your electric fireplace but also for all the electric devices in your house. If you leave your electric fireplace plugged, it would still consume energy.

Unplugging your fireplace protects it from power surges. You don’t need to wait for lightning to cause a power surge. Small surges occur in your house when you turn on large appliances. It may not be too damaging at the beginning. But, all these small surges would decrease the lifespan of a wall hung electric fireplace.

  1. Keep your Electric Fireplace Clean

Like a normal air conditioning unit or electric fan, your electric fireplace should be cleaned regularly. You should clean it once or twice every week or you can clean it based on how many times you use it a week.

Dirt and dust may develop on the fans of the fireplace and it may affect its efficiency. You can take off the heating element from the fireplace and use a brush to remove the dust. Follow up with your vacuum to remove the dirt and dust that may have fallen on the ground.

  1. Maintain your Electric Fires

Most people do their maintenance before winter, but it is not the only time to do it. A lot of issues might occur during the winter and you may not even notice it until it’s too late.

Check all of the plugs and wirings. Faulty plugs and wirings can cause a fire. If you see any problems with the wires or plugs, replace them immediately.

Look for a professional that would check the heating element of your fireplace. This is a great way to make sure that the fireplace is working efficiently and it is not wasting energy.

  1. Keep the Windows and Doors Closed

Even large electric fires will have a hard time heating the room if the window or door is always open. They are not as good as traditional fireplaces in terms of heating.

The windows and doors in your house should always be closed. The cold air outside can seep through the cracks and openings. In turn, your fireplace will use more energy to keep the room at a comfortable temperature. You should check the insulation properties of the room as well.

The “Don’ts” of Using Electric Fireplaces

  1. Never Use an Extension Cord

Many people are asking if it is safe to use an extension cord for electric fireplaces. It is easier to use an extension cord, but it is a dangerous option.

Extension cords are not made for appliances with high energy usage. An electric fire uses a minimum of 1,000 watts so if you use an extension code for several hours, it might cause a fire.

A lot of uninformed individuals already tried this and it didn’t end well for them. Installing electric fireplace near a standard electrical outlet is a must.

  1. Don’t Use the Electric Fire Outside

There are electric heaters that are made for outdoor use. But, if you are using a portable model, you should only use them indoors.

You are wasting a lot of energy since it can only heat a small area around it. There is even a chance that the inside would be broken, especially if you use it on a snowy day.

  1. Don’t Let the Kids or Pets Around the Fireplace

A glass electric fireplace is very safe around pets or kids, but accidents can happen. If they accidentally hit the fireplace, it might break and stop working.

The outer area of an electric fire doesn’t heat up too much, but it can get damaged easily if someone hits the glass accidentally. It is better to not allow the children to run or play in the room when the fireplace is turned on.

Even though electric wall fires can be placed high enough that pets and small children can't reach them, it's still important to stay in the room with them while the device is on.

  1. Never Leave the Electric Fire Unattended

As long as there is someone in the house to check the fireplace from time to time, it’s not a problem. You should never leave it turned on when you plan to go outside. You have to remember that this device is run by electricity so accidents can happen while you are gone.

Electrical problems might occur when you are not in the house. It is better to practice more precaution.

Electric fireplaces usually have a timer or auto-shutoff feature. Set the timer of your fireplace before going out.

  1. Don’t Modify the Unit

A lot of people usually make modifications to the fireplace. Even if you know how it works, it won’t be a good idea to change anything. You should always follow and read the instructions of the manufacturer about the fireplace.

By putting a lot of accessories on the electric fire that are not recommended by the manufacturer, you might experience electric shocks, short circuits, and other problems.


Don’t let a perfectly safe electric fireplace be a safety risk to your family. Knowing how to use this device properly can prevent unforeseeable accidents in the future. Keep yourself informed about proper safety practices when using an electric fire.

To see stunning glass electric fireplaces from the UK's top brands, see our range of electric inset fires and electric fire suites.

Previous Post Next Post

Comments 0
Leave a comment
Your Name:*
Email Address:*
Message: *

Please note: comments must be approved before they are published.

* Required Fields