9 Reasons Why You Should Invest In Built-In or Free Standing Electric Fires
The winter season is becoming colder over the years. Supplemental heating equipment became the norm in most countries. This is because HVAC systems are not enough to provide a comfortable temperature. Free standing electric fires became a necessity due to the safety risks of gas and traditional fireplaces.
It has always been a big question of whether homeowners should invest in a built-in electric fire or not. Will you get more benefits and comfort if you use them instead of the traditional fireplaces? Here are the reasons why you should consider a small electric fire to help heat your home during the winter.
Reason #1: Safety is the Top Priority
Electric fireplaces are safer to use compared to gas and traditional fireplaces. There are four reasons why:
- They don’t use gas or wood to heat your room. They convert electricity to heat through their heating coils.
- They have an Auto Shut-off Feature that would turn the electric heaters off when the unit becomes too hot.
- They don’t produce fumes and smoke that can cause health issues. Since the heating device doesn’t burn anything, it won’t produce smoke. There are no combustible tubes and smoke passages so it is perfectly safe.
- Your kids and pets won’t get burned even if they accidentally touched the surface. Most electric fires are cool to touch unlike a gas fire or traditional fireplace.
Reason #2: Super Easy Installation
The unit may or may not need installation depending on your preference. Most units are plug-and-play models so they are easy to use. You just need to plug it in the outlet and you can start using the fireplace. You can move them anywhere you want as long as there is an outlet.
Here are some of the possible installations that you need to do for some electric fireplaces
- Your electric fireplace may need the installation of a new outlet depending on where you will put it. The installation is not too pricey so it is better to hire a professional. They will handle the installation and to make sure that it is safe.
- Hole in the wall electric fires should be installed in the wall. It would require professionals since you need to cut the wall where you will install the unit. Although you can do it yourself, it is better to seek the help of experts. This is to ensure that there won’t be any mishaps during the installation.
You should never plug your electric fireplace into an extension cord. The extension cord might overheat because of the space heater, which is a serious fire risk.
Reason #3: Initial and Running Costs are Lower
Electric fireplaces are cheaper than gas fireplaces and traditional fireplaces. You can get an electric fireplace for as low as £200.
Other alternatives can cost thousands of pounds. You need to pay a huge amount for the installation as well. If you are on a budget, a traditional fireplace is not a good choice.
Running costs are very low as well because it doesn’t need wood or gas to operate. It is very efficient since it can completely convert electricity to heat. If you want to save money and provide comfort to your family, an electric fireplace would be the best choice.
Reason #4: Lower Home Insurance Costs
Insurance companies won't risk it and offer a lower premium if you use gas or traditional fireplaces. Electric fireplaces pose a lower risk for fires and other dangers.
If you invest in an electric fireplace, your insurance premiums would be cheaper. It uses a heating coil instead of burning wood and gas so it is much safer to use. This would help prevent any instance of fire from your house.
A large percentage of fires during the winter are due to gas and traditional fireplaces. If you insist on using these types of fireplaces, you'll pay a higher premium on your home insurance.
Reason #5: More Convenience
Homeowners want more convenience since traditional fireplaces take time to operate. They want to use units with features that are focused on convenience. Electric fireplaces are easier to use because of their advanced features. Below are the most useful features of an electric fireplace to provide more convenience to homeowners.
- Controllable heat: One of the best features of an electric fire is you can adjust the heat to your liking. If you think that the temperature is too high or you need more heat in the room, you can freely adjust the temperature.
- Remote control: Some electric fireplaces can be operated using a remote control. You can adjust the heat and change the display flame without pressing any buttons.
- Built-in thermostat: Its main job is to regulate the temperature of the room. The fireplace will make sure that the area will stay within that temperature.
- Sleep timer: If you don’t want your fireplace to operate continuously at night, this is a very convenient feature. You can set it for several hours depending on your choice and it would shut down automatically.
- Auto Shut-off Feature: Although space heaters are perfectly safe, there are instances that they would overheat. It can happen if you are using them for long hours. The auto shut-off feature would kick in and turn off the space heater if it starts to overheat.
Reason #6: Energy Efficiency
A good reason to invest in a free-standing electric fire is it can convert the electricity into heat. It can convert 100% of the energy to heat so there is minimal to no wastage of energy.
Along with a properly insulated room, you can save a lot of money if you need supplemental heating in your house. So, what is the reason why space heaters are energy efficient?
- No Harmful Byproducts Released: Space heaters don’t produce harmful byproducts like smoke or waste gases. Since it uses electricity, the heater will not create any wastes when it’s converting energy to heat.
- LED Lighting: Electric fireplaces use lights to display the flames. LEDs are a better option because they are more efficient compared with light bulbs. They also use less energy and offer better lighting. They last longer than traditional bulbs because you can use them for thousands of hours.
- Thermostat control: This feature helps regulate the temperature of the room. The fireplace will not use excess energy and maintain the temperature of the room.
Reason #7: Many Styles to Choose From
Homebase electric fires are very popular with homeowners. It is because they come in different styles and designs. An electric fireplace would be useful for any type of situation. There is always a unit that would fit your preference. Below are the different types of electric fires that you can choose from.
Electric Fireplace Inserts
Electric fireplace inserts are perfect for homes with existing fireplaces. It applies to those who are planning to renovate their houses as well. There are two types of inserts that you can choose from:
- Plug-in Fireplace Inserts: This type of insert is made for homeowners who want to cover their existing fireplace. You need to have an electrical outlet where you will install this fireplace insert.
- Built-in Fireplace Inserts: This is a permanent solution. Instead of inserting it to cover the traditional fireplace, you are installing it permanently. It also requires hard-wiring your electrics. It is the reason why it's installed when you are renovating your house.
Wall-Mounted Electric Fireplace
As the name implies, this type of fireplace can be installed or mounted on the wall of your home. If you have kids in your house and you don’t want them to touch the electric fireplace, this is the best choice.
Recessed electric fires are usually wide and they look elegant, especially when the artificial fire is turned on. You can install this by putting a bracket on the wall and inserting the unit into the bracket.
Electric Fireplace Logs
This type of electric fireplace is very unique since it looks like a pile of burning logs. It works like an electric fire insert, but there is no firebox surround. This type of fireplace is very small in size so it is very portable. You can move it anywhere around the house.
They can be used as an insert or a free-standing electric fire. As long as there is a standard outlet, you can plug this in and it will heat your room right away.
Electric fireplace logs come in two types:
- Panel projection
- Rear projection
Panel projection displays the flame effects on the unit. This is the best choice if you plan to put the fireplace in different parts of your house.
Rear projection projects the flame on the back wall of the open fireplace. This is the perfect choice for you if you have an open fireplace and you want to use the fireplace log as an insert.
Electric Fireplace Mantels
This is one of the most popular types of electric fires. It brings the look and elegance of an open fireplace to your home. It is composed of an electric fireplace insert, surround, and mantel. Otherwise known as an Electric Fireplace Suite.
It comes in different styles and colors. You can choose the design that would fit the interior of your home.
They are often placed at the wall. There should be a standard electrical outlet where you can plug the fireplace. You can choose from a fan heater or infrared when buying this heater. If you need to heat a bigger room, you should opt for the infrared unit as they are more efficient for bigger spaces.
Electric Stove Fireplace
An electric stove fireplace is like a complete replica of a wood-burning stove. It has a stove body, door, and legs. You can put it anywhere in your house because it’s small and portable. You just need to make sure that there is an electrical outlet in the wall so you can use it immediately.
Most people put their electric stove in open fireplaces just like an insert. It is done to make it look like a traditional wood-burning stove.
Outdoor-Rated Electric Fireplaces
This is a type of electric fireplace that you can use outdoors. If you think that electric fireplaces can only provide heat inside the house, then this fireplace will surely change your mind.
This fireplace has a protective cover against the weather so it is perfect for outdoor use. It is the reason why it is impossible to convert a standard electric fireplace into an outdoor-rated unit.
Reason #8: Usable the Whole Year
Electric fireplaces can be used for the whole year. You can use it during winter, spring, fall, or even summer. You don’t need to turn on the heat to use the fireplace. You can just light up the display as a design for your home. It doesn’t produce real flame and doesn’t burn wood so it is perfect to use the whole year.
Reason #9: Low Maintenance
Most of you are probably tired of cleaning your gas or traditional fireplace after every use. This is the scenario every winter since you have to remove the ashes from your fireplace.
One of the best reasons to get a free-standing electric fire is its low maintenance. Actually, you don’t need to maintain it at all, aside from dusting the unit if you’ve kept it in your garage.
You can inspect the unit or bring it to a technician before the winter starts. This is to ensure that the heating coil and the other parts are working properly.
Electric heaters are definitely the best alternative if you want a healthy, safe, and efficient way to heat your house during the winter. A free-standing electric fire is a great investment since it can last for a long time and it is very safe to use.There are a lot of options available right now. You have the chance to choose the type of electric heater that you want to use for your house. If you want to find the best electric heaters, you can check this link to learn more.